The holidays are upon us but the season of giving isn’t always a breeze. A long list of people to buy for can become a stressful task, and by the New Year your finances are feeling the heat.
Between mom, dad, siblings and co-workers there’s just not enough time (and money) to buy an extravagant present for each person on your list. Homemade and budget-friendly gifts offer a great money-saving alternative. Just because it’s the holiday season, doesn’t mean you have to drain your savings and splurge on expensive gifts. Plus, homemade and locally-sourced items are the most heartfelt gifts you can give.
We hope these budget-friendly gift items will help spark ideas for the perfect gift for everybody – and every budget – this holiday season.
Heartfelt & Homemade (Price $0-$10)
- For Her: Agate slice hair clips are easy to make and right on trend for all the fashionistas in your life.
- For Him: Switch up your gift to him and repurpose an old tie to create a brand new phone case.
- For Kids: Make your own glitter slime and give it to the little one in your life. It may be messy, but it’s sure to be fun!
- For Co-workers: Every office has its coffee lover, so give the gift of smell with this DIY coffee grounds candle.
Affordable & Awesome (Price $10-$25)
- For Her: Lightbox Print Co. offers lovely themed tea towels, created by printmakers and Richmond, Va. residents.
- For Him: Whiskey tastes better with sphere-shaped ice cubes, right? If you’ve got a locally-owned beer and wine shop nearby, see if they can help you find the perfect complement to his favorite winter-weather cocktail.
- For Kids: Give the gift of imagination this holiday season! The kids in your life will soar with these handmade butterfly wings.
- For Co-workers: Made in Mount Jackson since 1906, snag a few jars of Old Virginia Apple Butter to share the taste of something Virginia-grown.
Splurging & Spreading the Love (Price $25-$50)
- For Her: Handmade soaps, spa treatments and bath bombs are the perfect way to indulge during the cold winter months. Your local salon owner can help find the perfect items to give the gift of relaxation this holiday season.
- For Him: Oster Vit, a one-of-a-kind spirit from James River Distillery, is created by procuring oyster shells from Rappahannock River Oysters and provides a “truly Virginian take” on Aquavit, a traditional Scandinavian spirit.
- For Kids: Fuel the love of playing and learning with a gift from School Crossing in Williamsburg, Va. Owners Sherry and Bob Phipps use their more than 25 years of experience in specialty toys and teaching to offer their “Top Picks” for kids of all ages.
- For Co-workers: Treat your office pals to a gift card from their favorite neighborhood lunch spot. In Tappahannock and Kilmarnock, try the NN Burger, voted “Best Burger” by Virginia Living.
We hope you’ll use this guide for shopping inspiration and ideas on what to look for at your favorite neighborhood retailers, spas and shops this holiday season!