The kids are out for the summer, but how do you keep them busy? And how can you have an action-packed summer full of fun without breaking the bank? We’ve got you covered from Monday to Friday with affordable family activities you and the kids are sure to enjoy.
- Drive-in movies are an inexpensive and fun summer staple.
- Look for local parks or theaters offering free or discounted showings for kids.
- Have the kids dress up as movie characters, then act out a scene from their favorite flick.
- Go blueberry picking and make a delicious treat afterwards – it’s fun and affordable.
- Buy some veggies, tomato sauce, shredded cheese and pepperoni and whip up some personal pizzas – a great way to get the kids involved in dinnertime preparation.
“Weeds & Worms Wednesdays”
- Decorate an old flowerpot. Then plant a few seeds and wait for the blooms.
- Spend the nighttime catching lightning bugs outside, and have your own mini campout under the stars or in a tent in the backyard.
- Visit a kid-friendly museum for a quick history lesson. Check for summer promotions and discounts for kids before you go.
- Have your own version of the first Olympic Games – with wheelbarrow races, water balloon tosses, long jumps, hula hooping and a 100-meter dash.
- Arrange a get together with grandparents and cousins.
- Look through old family photo albums, and watch home videos.
- Spend the evening as a family playing a board game.