While not everyone can get behind the idea of Valentine’s Day, no one can deny that it’s nice to take time to tell loved ones how much they mean to you. If that takes a manufactured holiday, then so be it!
The best gifts are the ones that come from the heart, evoke a special meaning and create a lasting memory. So before you run to the jewelry store or book a trip because you’re in a bind, allow us to recommend a few ways to say “be mine.”
- Dine locally. Head to a small, locally owned restaurant instead of a big name chain. Chances are it’ll be a more intimate experience, better for unwinding and even more delicious. On top of that, you’ll know you’re supporting your local community and economy.
- Pamper the cook. Give the household chef a night off. Own the cooking process from A – Z and insist on handling all aspects of the meal, from prep to cleanup. You’ll save on a restaurant bill, and enjoy a made-from-scratch meal at home. Add a few touches around the house like putting on music and lighting a fire and you’ve got yourself a cozy, romantic night in.
- Follow flower tips. Extend the life of the floral arrangement and save a few dollars when you follow these tips: buy locally, look for tight buds and use flower food.
- Plan a creative date. When planning the perfect Valentine’s date, think about the special places you two share. Consider re-visiting your first date, exploring a new local shopping area or venturing out without a plan and seeing where you end up – sometimes no plan is the perfect plan.
- Try DIY cards. With one billion cards sent every Valentine’s Day, say something no one else quite can and make a card at home. Use memories, photos or jokes that are unique to only you two.
However you choose to spend the day will be special and appreciated. Think creatively about what will mean the most to your loved one, then explore creative ways to do it for less.