#GivingTuesday has quickly become an annual holiday trend each November. People and organizations come together to serve, donate and give back to their own communities. We’re hoping that you’d like to join in this effort. To make it easier for you to do so, we’ve rounded up a few needs right here in Williamsburg.
Friends always make things more fun, so corral a few to join you. If pictures are involved, we’d love to see them. Let us follow along. Use the following hashtags in your posts #ICareAbout or #ItsAllAboutCommunity or you can tag us directly @Chesbank or @chesbankva
Toys For Tots – WMBG Promotions and Ace of the Peninsula have teamed up to bring a Toys for Tots drive to the Christmas Parade. You can drop off unwrapped gifts for children at WMBG Radio, 1005 Richmond Road or ACE Peninsula Hardware, 1230 Richmond Road. Any questions call 757-229-7400.
- Sponsor a family for Christmas
- Make in-kind donations to the Community Resource Center
- Get a group together to sponsor one month of the Williamsburg/West Point food distribution.
- Support the Good Home Program that aides those with housing needs.
- Assist the Community Investment program that empowers human service providers to serve area residents facing hardship.
- Contribute to the Guest House Re-entry Program which provides housing and rehabilitative services for previously incarcerated males.
Blooms that Brighten is a flower therapy program. This organization works with 9 continuing care facilities each Wednesday creating bud bases that evoke taste, smell, and memories. They could use a donation of dollars to procure a plastic floral pick with their name on it that will identify where the arrangement came from. They recycle their vases and the idea is to recycle and reuse the picks. | Visit them on Facebook
Community of Faith Mission (COFM) program provides emergency shelter for men women and families. They are currently running a Sponsor-a-Night of Shelter Campaign. Of course, the COFM would be so appreciative for any gift amount to cover supply costs and operating expenses of the shelter program. | Visit them on Facebook
The Arc of Greater Williamsburg would greatly appreciate donated items to be used as BINGO prizes. Bingo is conducted approximately six times a year. It’s their most popular event. All prizes are donations from members of the community. The following items are on their wish list. | Visit them on Facebook
- Ball Caps/Winter Hats
- Purses/make up bags/totes
- Personal items, i.e. Hair accessories, Lotion, Shower Gel, etc.
- Activity Books, i.e. Word Search, Sudoku, Jigsaw Puzzles, Games
- Color Books
- Crayons/Markers/Color Pencils
- Jewelry – new or gently used!
York Foundation for Public Education, Inc has the following needs | Visit them on Facebook
- Holiday gift cards for homeless students in York County School Division – $500.
- Donating School supplies – Notebook paper, composition books, magic markers, 24 count box of crayons, glue sticks, hand sanitizer, copy paper, gallon sized Ziploc freezer bags, dry erase markers, 2 inch 3 ring binders. 1.5 inch 3 ring binders, 5 subject spiral notebooks, #2 pencils, colored pencils, blue and black pens.
- Volunteer opportunities for upcoming events
Quirks of Art is bringing back #SparkleFriday this year! Quirks will be closed on Black Friday and they will go out into the community to bring cheer and random acts of kindness. This year they would like the community to get involved and create ‘Sparkle Squads’ for individuals who wish to participate and help out. Gwendolyn’s Wish and Ring Dog Rescue are some of the recipients of this year’s effort. For more information visit their Facebook Page
IMPRINT is a new 501c3 that is part of Cobb Technologies community outreach program. They are looking for new children’s book donations for ages 0-10, as well as monetary donations. All donations will go back toward the community through one of the following partnerships: Backpacks of Love, New Bridge Learning Center, Partnerships for Families, and Reach Out and Read. Click here to learn more or visit them on Facebook
Thank you for considering how you can make our community a little warmer, richer and brighter this holiday season. We wish you many blessings in return!